January 31, 2017

Letter Series: Turning 21

"Growing older isn't something that you should be troubled or anxious about, for the only gift we truly receive is the sacred blessing of life and for that, we should be truly thankful.'
- David Cunliffe
The quote"Age is just a number" is the most widely used excuse when we reach that certain age where instead of celebrating, we worry about being old but comforts ourselves with this statement. I, myself, use this expression whenever I'm about to know my grades. I call it "Grades are just a number".

I'm not the type of person who takes everything seriously, even at a heavy event I still say jokes and make witticism remarks. I know what I'm going to share might seem a bit too late for me, but when I turn 21 that's when I realize I need to get some shit started and be responsible. Some people blog a letter for their younger selves or older, but me? I'm going to write to my present self and since this is a letter series, I'll put everything I want to advise to myself in a letter form.

Carmela,

    I know this year is the year you were expecting that you will finally graduate from college, but circumstances got in a way that's why you have to wait for another year to march. Even if you don't admit it, I know you're still disappointed at yourself not being able to graduate with your friends. Just think of the next school year as another experience to learn, in time you will realize why you were given more time to study. Not graduating on time is not the end of the world, it's just an opportunity to prove to yourself again that the grade 6 Carmela that prioritize studying more than anything else is still with and in you.

   You have to stop being dependent on others, they may be on your side to guide you but the only person who will help you is yourself. I know you think you are ready to conquer the world, but you're still not. You haven't made enough mistakes to distinguish what is right and wrong. I know you always say that you are prepared for what will come in your way, but you're not. You still lack experiences that will help you decide on your own. I also have to include here that you have to avoid thinking about going away (from home), remember that you're still not financially stable when you live on your own. Take it from the people who always tell you that you can't make it out there on your own, they are not degrading you but are just stating the facts.

   It's time for you to listen. I know what you always do is listen and you've been complaining about it lately, but this time try to apply it. Nevertheless, you should also learn how to speak up. Listening is good but you have to fight for what you know and are true. I want you to know that not everyone around you who dictates what you should do is always right, teach yourself not to freak out when you're saying what's on your mind. How will people know who you are and what you truly feel if you don't take advantage your freedom of speaking up? As Maggie Kuhn stated, "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes".

   Not everytime is an opportunity to say Yes, teach yourself to say No. If you haven't noticed, certain people in your life have already taken advantage of you. Don't let these people use you and then let them ignore you when you are no longer beneficial in their life. These are the kind of people you need to let go and start anew without them. I know you're worried you'll receive bad karma when you don't help others but know your limit. Learn how to say No without feeling guilty. Another thing, you should stop expecting things from others. Instead of expecting, why not try appreciating what they do? 

   Never miss out an opportunity. Turning 21 doesn't mean settling down, it means going out there and taking a risk. Avoid thinking that being 21 is just another year of your life, think of it as a year of more possibilities - be it the best or the worst. Winnings are there to celebrate, but losses are there to teach you a lesson and make you wise. At the end of the year and as you reach another age, you should have the feeling of no regrets. These are all experiences you are meant to encounter to make you smarter. Don't be afraid to take a risk, for they make life worth living.

Love,
Yourself.

15 comments

  1. Loooove your outlined photos! I've been checking out the IG acct of the person who made it since you posted your first pic and I've been planning to have one for myself too (just dont know what picture I should choose yet haha). Anywaaay, I really like this entry. I don't know, maybe it resonates with me a lot, too. And I'm glad you're also working your way through all those obstacles. ❤️ Happy birthday!

    xx, The Diary Queen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to you, dear! Well, I am really guilty of writing my future self and yes, you got a point in sending your present self a letter. I find it interesting. Oh, your featured image, I needed to check your IG account to see who did it. I thought at first you were the one who made it. Anyhow, nice pic you got there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Oh to be 21! Enjoy life to the fullest. The world is waiting for your sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe with every passing hour, you get to learn something new. Like I did after reading your post. This is something really innovative. Setting out your goals by talking to yourself. I'm amazed how you are chalking out a pathway to the future by deciding upon what you should be doing to get rid of the hindrances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday! <3 I really enjoyed reading your letter for yourself because I want to say those things to myself too! I hate it when suddenly you feel that you need to be adult-ing, but yes, indeed, we must step up to become our better selves. :)
    P.S. I was supposed to graduate last year, but I got delayed for 2 years for shifting courses. God has a perfect time for everything, girl! Fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happiest birthday! I was 21 when I moved out of my parent's house and became independent. I like when you said "Not everytime is an opportunity to say Yes". Everyone of us should be reminded of that. Enjoy your life, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are much more level-headed than I was at 21. And 21 is so young! You have your whole life ahead of you. I am glad you are not too worried about graduating from college on time. I also graduated a little late and I don't regret it. I'm only 30, but I find that I understand the path I was on now even though I didn't understand at 21. I'm sure you'll feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday! Just so so young, 21 ;) Opps...reveal that am older than you ;) Truly I still believe age is just a number, most important is how we enjoy very moment of our life! Then no regret! Cheers. SiennyLovesDrawing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you have so much ahead of you! Happy birthday! Live your life to the full. Do what makes your heart dance and your spirit soar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Wow! 21! You are soooo much younger than me. Sometimes, I wish I was 21 again. Haha! I would have done a lot of things differently. I would have wanted to read your letter to your present self when I was 21. I bet it would have saved me from making a lot of wrong decisions. Embrace this stage in your life and have fun with it! You may be young but you seem wise to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything happens for a reason. Learn the lesson and incorporate it in your life so you become better. Happy birthday and I hope that the next years would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Carmela!!! I too felt all grown up when I was 21 but now in my late 20s, I feel much younger and carefree than 21!!! I've done so many crazy things and it feels awesome! Yes, as you say, when you learn to say 'no' life's gonna get much easier!!! Best wishes for an amazing future ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This kind of letters are very personal and that's what it makes them relatable. I hope you will follow your own advice and live the life just as you want to. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the letter! Honestly, I was given more time to study too and now I'm pursuing my post-grad and I sometimes, I feel left out. Other friends are working while I'm still studying although I freelance to gain more. Nevertheless, I would say you have grown into a lovely lady. Congrats on graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your posts are so useful for all girls, thanks for opening some secrets of your life!

    ReplyDelete